Monday 7 July 2014

The Kat Von D Monarch Palette




I'll start with this - I'm not a swatches kinda' girl. You need patience and a very good eye/focus for it - and no matter how much I try, it just ain't good enough. Being a perfectionist, I can't put up something I'm not okay with. So you won't be seeing swatches, but you will be seeing posts of me wearing various colour combinations from this palette, and I hope that its enough.
If you do want to see swatches though - on Indian Skin, I'd ask you to head over to Aditi's Blog (which I love) for swatches.

Kat Von D's makeup range is something I've always wanted to try, I love her packaging (how rad are those butterflies?) I love her eyeshadows colours, and I desperately want to try her Tattoo Liner. And being quite tattood myself, you can see the appeal, can't you?
The Monarch Palette consists of warm neutral shadows. Though I won't say they're all warm, they really do have a complexity about them that you don't see very often in neutral shadows. As far as the palette goes - it has converted me to the premade palette love - something I previously hated.
The eyeshadows are buttery soft (a little bit powdery but nothing that you can't deal with) and blend like a dream together. They last about 9 hours on me before they start fading (I always use a primer). There is just SOMETHING about these colours that make me almost drool. Kat Von D really knows how to make her neutrals interesting - you won't find too many generic colours here... most of them have some interesting of unexpected undertone.
I have so many unsual favorites from this palette - yes ofcourse I love the orange the gold and the brown, but for me telepathy is the most gorgeous metallic beige - with a dirty green grey undertone, while delaney has such a beautiful taupey - silver vibe to it. Killing Jar is by far the most stunning rose gold I have come across and so flattering on tan skin!






This is probably the first thing that came to mind when I opened the palette. Its started out as a simple matte smokey eye, but towards the end, I decided to add a bit of shimmer to the inner corner and voila - its a whole new (albeit predictable) look.
After priming my lids, I used entomology (off white matte) all over the lid - upto the brow bone as a base. In the crease went wrath (the most gorgeous orangey-terra cotta colour - mildly shimmery) and I blended it, reapplied and blended it till I was happy with the intensity. On the lid, I used a bit of shadow box (matte dark brown) and blended it into wrath (note: I reapply and blend, A LOT). On the lashline, I smudged deadhead (matte black). I also used a bit of deadhead and wrath mixed together on the lower lashline. This makes for a very interesting smokey eye... but I wasn't happy with just "interesting" so patted summerfly (yellow-gold with shimmer) over shadow box, so it formed more of an antique gold. Tons of mascara later - done!
Rest of the face - Bourjois Happy Light Foundation, Bobbi Brown Corrector, Tarte Blissful Blush, a dusting of MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation and MAC Rebel Lipstick.

This palette is beyond beautiful, and I cannot wait to put up a few other looks I've come up with. What are your thoughts?

12 comments:

  1. the colors look really good for indian skin tones...btw last 3 pics are not visible :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it should be fixed by now? :)

      Delete
    2. I think my comments are going in your spam box? this is the second time it happened :(
      btw this is stunning look, pls do a tutorial on this one..its amazing! got to take a second look on monarch palette!

      Delete
    3. I'm getting the notifications.. this is odd.
      And sure, I shall get to get :) Oh, you should should. Best decision I ever made.

      Delete
  2. YES!! I knew you'd become a convert to premade palettes :P

    You HAVE to try Papillo and Summer Fly together...(papillo on the lid and summer fly in the crease) - there's something about that pairing that really makes your eyes pop. The best part about the shades is that most of them can be worn on their own - perfect for madcap days! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes converted I am :D
      Okay, trying that next :D I've been using a lot of telepathy and Vanish together, really love it :D

      Delete
  3. The palette is gorgeous.. nice review .. !! Check out my travel diary and OOTDs at my blog
    http://divadiaries.in/travel-diary-ootds/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous gorgeous colours. I'm a neutrals girl all the way...grr...why don't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something like Ulta start here in India :(

      Delete
    2. Agreed - WHY. Life would be so much easier - or even a boots - good mix of high end, luxury and drugstore stuff! grr.

      Delete
    3. And yesss, its so pretty and neutral - but not boring at all!

      Delete